Looking For a Family Cow and Out My Way?

Sharon April 15th, 2010

Note: I don’t ordinarily post ads for people on this site, but I got this email and figured that this was the least I could do to support this kind of local enterprise – and I would be surprised if I don’t have some readers who would be pleased to have this chance to get a calf to raise for beef or to become a family milk cow!

We are farmers in Northern Schoharie County. We have a seasonal, grass-fed, cert. organic dairy.  We also have small herd of Red Devons, for grass-fed beef.

I am writing you today to tell you of an opportunity. We have approximately 50 certified organic calves, hiefers and Bulls being born in the next 8 weeks. We abhor the possibility of sending these animals into the industrial meat supply via the local auction house and would much rather sell them(very very cheaply) to local people and folks willing to travel for them.

If we could get $50.00 each for the heifers and $25.00 each for the Bulls we would be happy.  These would be week old calves.  You have our e-mail ([email protected]), our phone is a cell 542-7736.

These are beautiful milking devon crosses, dutch belt crosses, jersey crosses, new zealand genetics.  Nice small cows with hard core grazing genetics–and we are completely grain less– have been for two years.  These are not big high input animals, they would make perfect family cows, and the bulls would make great steers for the family meat supply.

We have no trailer or truck, but could arrange delivery with several honest local haulers.

Could you post this on your excellent website, and let us know what you think.

Thanks so much-Paul and Phyllis Van Amburgh, dharma Lea Farm, Sharon Springs, New York(6825 State Route 10)

15 Responses to “Looking For a Family Cow and Out My Way?”

1. Kylie says:

I will take those cows. Sharon Springs is just an hour from me and I will be wanting some cows in 8 weeks. Perfect. I’m blown away by this coincidence.
    Thanks Sharon!

2. Kylie says:

ps- I’m contacting them now directly.

3. Maebius says:

We just got two lovely calves for our farm, or I’d jump right in and grab a couple. Thanks for posting though, these types of networking “Classifieds” do help build a community. :)

4. Gina says:

What a great opportunity for wonderful breeds! I wish I was a bit closer!
    I agree about the community building step (supporting a local farmer).

5. Adam says:

Wish I was closer…

6. Brad K. says:

Wish I was closer.

The Small Farmers Journal is one place, and I believe there are others, that discuss training oxen – steers (any breed of cattle) trained to pull, when they reach 4 years of age. Training starts by three to six months, I believe.

There aren’t enough oxen, or oxen drovers, around.

7. rdheather says:

I wish I was closer-and had more grazing. Oh well, goats are good…..

8. homebrewlibrarian says:

Thank you for posting a wonderful opportunity! I agree with Maebius on the community building part of it.

While I think it would be lovely to have a cow or steers, it’s just not practical here in Alaska. The grass is just now STARTING to think about growing again and gets covered by snow in October/November. Feeding any livestock over the winter quickly becomes an expensive proposition. Goats, on the other hand, are extremely popular and do very well but even they need supplementary food during the winter.

I hope the Van Amburgh’s sell all their calves to appreciative people!

Kerri in AK

9. DEE says:

Sure wish I lived up your way….lost our Jersey cow when she got on the ice on the pond and broke her pelvis. Her 9 month old heifer is so lonely for cow company. And we sure are missing our milk/cheese/butter….dee

10. Great stuff.You may want to actually consider such as something like graphic bomb. What are your thoughts?

11. Aw, this was a very nice post. In thought I wish to put in writing like this moreover – taking time and precise effort to make an excellent article… however what can I say… I procrastinate alot and certainly not seem to get one thing done.

12. An interesting dialogue is value comment. I feel that you should write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo topic but typically persons are not sufficient to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

13. We like to buy handbags in same stylish for the minds it is the best one to match us, just like clothes, shoes or something else.authentic coach handbags wholesale Now it is time for us to change and do some specially adjustment maybe will makes us look different.discount coach purses

14. Drew Stall says:

Just right items?I may be aware that every individual who in fact will not write upon weblogs a great deal (in fact, this can be my personal initial placed), I do not feel the timeframe ;lurker’ is quite turning out to be to a non-posting readers. It’s no longer your mistake at all , however probably the blogosphere could get the hold of an improved, non-creepy recognize for that 90% people who experience staring at the articles .

15. Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your article seem to be running off the screen in Internet explorer. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know. The design and style look great though! Hope you get the issue solved soon. Many thanks